GCSE ENGLISH COURSE INFORMATION
GCSE English aims to give the students the skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing needed to be able to communicate effectively, precisely, appropriately and confidently. You will explore a number of topics including:
- Writing-Organising information, volcabulary, planning, writing fiction and non fiction
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Reading non fiction - non fiction text types, purpose, audience, language and responding to a text
- Reading literary texts - setting, themes, narrative voice, language, annotating text and studying written texts
- Spoken language - speaking, listening, voice and presentation
- Comparing texts - 2 written exams
This course will last a full academic year, starting in September and concluding in June. There are two levels:
Foundation Tier : Top grade attainable is a 'C' grade
Higher Tier : Top grade attainable is a grades A* to C
There will be two formal examinations usually in the last days of May and/or early June. There will also be 'Controlled Assessments' which include discussion and debate, creative writing on a theme supplied by the awarding body CCEA at the start of the course of study and examining spoken word (speeches etc).
The course is challenging but highly enjoyable and is run in a relaxed and supportive manner. It is not a 'school like' environment and mistakes and discussion on understanding are encouraged. This course is a full GCSE qualification. It is a busy and demanding course but it is not beyond anyone wishing to gain the qualfication or simply get prepared for their children's harder homework.
The tutor offers the opportunity for 1-1 support in this class.