What will I learn?
This qualification helps students to develop knowledge, skills and understanding in applying mathematical methods and concepts. It will enable students to reason mathematically and draw conclusions to mathematical problems. Students learn how to comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of ways. These skills enable learners to operate confidently, effectively and independently in education, work and everyday life.
Students will complete 2 modules at either the foundation or higher level depending on their mathematic ability. Each level offers a choice of units that are suited to a wide range of abilities and enable students to demonstrate achievement.
The modules taught will cover a range of topics including:
Number and Algebra
- use the concepts and vocabulary of factor, multiple, common factor, common multiple and prime
- use the terms square, positive and negative square root, cube and cube root
- use correct decimal notation when working with money
- construct and interpret linear graphs in real world contexts
Geometry and Measures
- use conventional terms and notations such as points, lines, parallel lines, perpendicular lines, right angles, polygons and symmetry
- calculate perimeters and areas of triangles and rectangles, circumferences of circles and the volume of cubes and cuboids
- find mean, median, mode and range from a list of values and understand their uses
- understand what is meant by a sample and a population
- plot and interpret scatter diagrams and recognise correlation
Students will sit 2 written exams (one with a calculator and one non-calculator) marked externally by CCEA.
This course is for everyone who requires a pass grade at GCSE English for their job, for anyone who has sat the exam before and would like to improve on their grade or for anyone who would like to study Maths at a more advanced level than they have previously. Students do not need to have reached a particular level before beginning to study this specification.
Your tutor is an experienced tutor who has experience delivering training for a number of education providers across Northern Ireland. Through their extensive experience of teaching Maths and Numeracy at various levels they have developed a supportive and inclusive learning environment welcoming to all abilities.
September 2020 – June 2021 (Every Tuesday 9.30am - 12.30pm)
You must be 16 or older to take this course.